Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Who Says Boys Can't Play with Dolls?

Kelly, over at I Have a Notion, is giving away a book by Elinor Peace Bailey  She asked "why do you want to win it" because she wants the winner to really use the book.  I commented that I would like it because I had made one art doll but didn't know really know what I was doing.   I will say that I don't think I did too shabby on it though.  So I am posting pictures. I will say that I made this doll over a year ago.  She normally sits on top of an easel in my living room. I took her down and posed her so that you can see her better.


Notice that heart? It has a heart yo-yo topped with a heart button. 

Here you can see the back of her  bodice. 

There is also another heart button on her dress - just for fun.
Her dress is made from three old neckties. I quit wearing neckties a few years ago, so I am recycling them as needed. 
I found the basic doll body pattern somewhere online.  For the rest I just sewed and played until I had something I liked.

Okay, two comments asked about her name.  I haven't named her - and she hasn't shared her name with me. I just call her "the goddess."

.

15 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Neat..I like the details that you put into her and love that her dress is re-purposed neckties!! I hope that you win the book!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Hey Gene....does she have a name? I love your idea of re-purposing the neck ties. Good luck in the drawing too!! You've made one more doll than I have. I helped my youngest daughter make a stuffed teddy for her brother 8 years ago....but that is all I've done and I still have the left over fur in a box...LOL

Smiles,
Kelly

Pat said...

OOPS....went to do a comment and it disappeared. I just love this doll. Did you give her a name??

Pat said...

Well...she looks like a Serafina or a Delilah to me somehow, although she might also be a Gretchen.....not quite sure.....hmmmmmmm. Ask her to tell you her name someday, okay?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I've been out of the loop with blogging as life got in the way during these past couple weeks, but I'm trying to catch up now. This is the first post I opened this evening, and I'm tickled pink to see this little lady. She's an "art doll" so you are free to do anything you want. You are not supposed to know what you are doing when you make one -- you did it right! Using ties for her dress was a surprise as I was reading about how you made her -- great idea! I also love her little happy embroidered face, and her wire arm band/bracelet is the finishing touch. I almost forgot, her big feet are also perfect. She has lots of personality!

Melissa ;-) said...

She is very cute, Gene. I hope you win that book!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, she turned out great! =) and way to use a tie...very nice. =)

Tangos Treasures said...

Love her!! She looks like her name should be Spirit!

Barb said...

Does your talent ever end?

luv2quilt2 said...

Love your dolly! Aren't they fun?

Anonymous said...

i think the great thing about dolls is that like people they have no need of pattern, balance, or understandable design. i highly enjoy art dolls

the most adorable dolls are a little funky.
like people.

i love it even more that it's made from old neckties.

ooglebloops said...

She is adorable!!!
I met elinor peace bailey years ago at a doll conference. Somewhere I have a pic of my friends and I with her. I did make a few of my early dolls from her patterns til I started creating on my own. I didn't know she was still around - but it would be a GREAT book to have!!!She is a character and her dolls reflect that part of her - love them!!!

GeeGee said...

I have made so many dolls & stuffed bears but have not used ties for dresses. Collecting those to make a tie quilt :) Dolls are fun and yours is really cute. I don't necessarily name my dolls but do add the year it was made.

sewfunquilts said...

What a great way to use up your ties...she's cute!

Micki said...

She has personality plus for sure.
Micki