Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Baby Baby! Sweet Baby

The sweet baby girl arrived yesterday morning before I got to the hospital.  She and her mommy are doing well.  I spent some quality time holding her.  She is a sweet baby.  Her hair is curly and between red and brown.  I just know she will grow up to be beautiful.  
I found a picture of the finished quilt that she got as her very first birthday present.  
I did some free motion swirls, vines and a variety of stitches on it.  My niece (the mommy) loved it.  She told  me this evening that she showed it to everyone.   She also asked me if I can teach her to make quilts.  So if I win one of those GO! Baby's on a blog, I suppose she will get it. I will be happy to pass on the quilting tradition to my sweet niece.  Hopefully, if I do, she will pass the tradition on and keep it going. 


Are you passing the tradition on? Or if you are a first generation quilter, do you plan to be the start of the tradition in your family and teach someone younger to quilt?


Quilting is a great family tradition.  


11 comments:

Cyndi said...

Congratulations, Great-Uncle Gene! How wonderful that the little one has come into the world, is doing well, and has you for her uncle. That is such a pretty quilt that you made for her, and I know that it will be cherished! And how wonderful that your niece wants you to teach her to quilt. What a great legacy to pass on!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Unknown said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations to all!

Jocelyn said...

What a beautiful quilt, Gene. I am a first generation quilter, but I have taught many newbies how to quilt. Some have taken flight and have far surpassed my ability. Congratulations to your niece. A new baby is such a special little gift.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Congrats again on the birth of your grand niece!
The quilt turned out fantastic. Love the happy, bright colors.
I am a first generation quilter. My oldest daughter (35 years old) is just now showing an interest in maybe learning how to quilt. I sent her home with good beginning instruction books and some fabric so we will see. Sort of hard to teach her in person when she lives 13 hours away. But I'm always just a phone call or computer click away - lol.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Oh how exciting Gene....what a beautiful quilt...you do such nice work :)

Kelly

Petit Design Co. said...

sweet! You should bring your niece to quilt guild.

I'm a first generation quilter and I plan on teaching both my boys and girl how to sew and quilt. They already have an eye for pattern and detail and love to do puzzles so I know they'll love quilting.

Pat said...

I love the quilt!!! How nice that your niece wants to learn to quilt. I'm a first-generation quilter in this family and I think it skipped a generation BUT the granddaughters seem to be showing an interest. SO....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt! I am a first generation quilter and keep hoping my daughter will develop an interest. If not I have a 4 year old granddaughter who loves to play with my fabric. Congrats on your new baby niece.

Marcia W. said...

baby grandnieces are wonderful - we have one 6 months, another 4 months, and one in the works for August

limpingalong said...

Cute Baby!! My Grandmothers quilted but my Mom did not. Instead, she sewed almost all of my clothes until I was grown and married. My oldest daughter, oldest granddaughter, and middle granddaughter have all learned some quilting under my guidence and encouragement. They, however, don't do much of it -- daughter is a scrapbooker and granddaughters are busy with college and elementary school.

limpingalong said...

By the way, that should be guidance, not guidence! My brain spell-check was a little slow!