Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Three Seam Block

Hi folks, I saw this on a friend's blog and just had to share it.  The block uses all square pieces (five of them) to make this:


Now if you click on that and enlarge it, you will see some small oopsies in my sewing.  This was only a test block so I didn't change the thread in the machine to match when I sewed down the curved edges. 
The block is made with three seams, but then you do have to sew some more to make those curved edges. 
This is really easy.  I used 5 inch squares but any size would work.  In the video she uses 10" layer cake squares.  I probably would not go smaller than 5" squares.as it could get difficult to sew the 3rd seam without catching the center.  But if you have an Accuquilt GO! with the 5" square or 6 1/2" square or even the 8 1/2" square you can cut the pieces quick and easy to make this.
Watch the video and learn how to do it for yourself.  But read the rest of the post before you try it! 




Let me mention that she doesn't show exactly how to do the first two seams.   You put the folded piece between two of the squares (right sides together) -sew seam one.  Fold the squares back out of the way and do the other two squares on the other end of the folded piece. 
Why did I tell you this? Ha ha.. I really messed it up the first time. So I decided to help you avoid my mistake. 
I may experiment with a larger piece for the center and just see what happens. The worst that can happen is an oops. But the best could be wonderful!


I also just have to share this lovely moment from my good friends at AccuQuilt from the first ever Go! Quilting retreat.  I wish I had been there. 

Now you see why I wish I had been there.  It was a lot of fun and EVERYONE got a GO! Baby to take home with them.  I would love to have a Baby for travel when I don't really have room for the GO! Cutter. 


Have a delightful weekend.

5 comments:

Luci said...

I just made one out of a Moda layer cake. Putting the last border on and then the top is done. So fast and easy!

Rhonda said...

I've seen the video and have thoughts of making the quilt one of these days.

Tangos Treasures said...

I saw that too! Looks like a fast easy quilt! Your block looks good!

Barb said...

I love this technique, and yours looks ood!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for the tip. I have yet to try this technique but have it in my "to do" list.