Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A Bit of Dyeing

I was inspired to dye some fabric for possible use with the Bargello as borders.  
I am not sure I will like these fabrics with it....but I love them as they are. 

I did one rather large piece (approx 24" by 108") that is blue and green.  
It has some white background remaining.
I like it a lot.
Another shot of it

There is also a mostly blue piece that has a green curve through it. 

The color isn't exactly true, in reality it is a little darker. 
I love this one.  It may work in that quilt.

Next up is a piece that only has the green on it. 
Actually there is a bit of blue but it mixed with the green to make a "bluer" green.
I really love the textures the dyes created in this one.
This could be over-dyed for a different effect, but I love it like this.
The white is actually a very very pale green.
That was a delightful accident. 

Since I had extra dye,  this kitchen towel that I wasn't fond of got tossed in also.
It went from pastel blah to colorfully happy.
I have been using it and will use it much more now. 

There are four pieces of an "orange/red/purple" soaking now.  
I think this is the final soak and all of the excess dye will be soaked out.  
When this is done, the colors don't bleed. I love knowing this trick.
I dye some of my own fabrics now, but I still buy Vicki's hand dyes.
Vicki soaks all her fabrics for two 12 hour soaks before the final wash.
It makes a huge difference. 

Have you tried fabric dyeing?


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

Barb said...

I loooovvvveee these, the first one is so awesome and I love the green one, looks like the suns rays. Great job.

Vicki W said...

Great results!

Connie said...

This looks like so much fun! I need a play day like this, too;)
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
Merry Christmas.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Love your dyeing efforts. So pretty and I know you will use them very creatively.

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
All of your pieces are great! Very pretty! If you don't want to use them as borders ... could they be for the back? That would make for a fantastic 2 sided quilt!
Happy Quilting! :-)