Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Cutting Up

Y'all I have been a real cut-up lately.  Yesterday I was cutting up like nobody's business.  I am fighting the beginnings of a cold so I am spending a lot of time drinking liquids (and thus taking short indoor walks - if you know what I mean.) 

My favorite thing to drink in times like this is tea with some ginger grated into it.  I usually buy a big chunk of ginger and keep it in a plastic bag in the freezer door. (frozen ginger lasts forever it seems) Then I just pull it out and grate it with a small handheld grater straight into the cup. I don't peel it as the peel tends to gather on the top of the grater and is negligible.  As I am writing this I have a hot cup of mint flavored green tea with ginger in it. 

Back to the "Cutting Up" part of this though. 

You remember (hopefully - if you read the last post) that I sewed a lot of strips into sets for making this bargello quilt I am working on.  Those strip sets were sewn into tubes.  Then, following the pattern as carefully as I can, I cut them into strips again.  This is a lot like a "Trip Around The World" quilt except the strips vary in width. 

I got them all cut.  I labeled each stack with the size and the tube it came from. The tubes are pressed two different directions for nesting the seams when they are joined.  Here is my big old stack of strips.
I know the labels aren't easy to read in this photo, so I took a close-up of some of them.
Ignore the "Medical Doctor" scrawl.  My handwriting has always been atrocious.
I even labeled the two leftover chunks in case I need them if something goes awry.
After writing the last post,  I found that it was too tempting.  I ordered another kit like this one.  Yes,  it seems I led myself astray.  I know that I really don't need more fabric.  But, I am thinking that I could use the same colors and make a "Trip Around The World" quilt also.  I just love the colors in this kit.

To quote a country song that I love "Lead me not into temptation, I can find it all by myself."

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Of course you can! Always need to have a project on deck. :)

Lyndsey said...

I not surprised you ordered another kit, I certainly would have done. I must get on with my trip around the world quilt as I love the patterns the colours create.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You're a bad influence on me - I ordered two of those kits yesterday - I LOVE those colors!! I think you'll love making a bargello quilt - they are really addictive - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
Looking good!
Keeping organized is a key to making some patterns work!
Ginger in your tea sounds great. I love just putting a small slice of ginger in a cup and adding hot water ... smooth and delicious!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca