Thursday, December 05, 2019

Stepping Up - December Island Batik Challenge: 3D

Welcome to my 3D quilt for Island Batik.   I had a beautifully sunny day to take a few photos out in the cold.  But seriously, look how blue that sky is today.  Of course I want you to feast your eyes on my quilt, also. There is a closer shot later. So don't strain.


The challenge says: "Explore the world of 3D using your creative talents for this month's challenge. Bring your inner artist out by using optical illusions, textures, trapunto or whatever else will make your quilt pop into life." 

I think I nailed it!  I have always loved the Baby Blocks/Tumbling Blocks quilt pattern but the number of y-seams was just too daunting. So, for this challenge I played around in Electric Quilt 8 software to design a version that is simple to make. 
My plan included using the Accuquilt Go! Cutter and the Triangle in a Square die to make the blocks.   Each colored triangle was paired with one black and one gray side. When they are joined together they make a short Tumbling block design.  (Short in that the blocks are not "cubes" but a shortened cube.)

It was surprisingly simple to sew.  The challenge was in ironing all the seams neatly so that it would lay flat.
The quilting was fun.  I chose to use a lovely Silk Blend batting by Hobbs Batting.  It quilted beautifully.  I did curved lines in the top of the 'cubes.'  In the black and gray portions of the 'cubes' I did long  u-shapes to press that section down a bit more. 

 
In the colored sections of the borders, I quilted circles with a wavy line running through them. 


In the solid sections of black and gray that are not in the design I pebble quilted  because I love the texture.  The exceptions are the narrow inner border, which got a simple wavy line. And the outer border which got a variation on "ribbon candy."


I am very happy with both the piecing and the quilting on this little quilt. 
The quilt measures 34" wide by 36" long. The design is my version of a Tumbling Block quilt that has been simplified.  I love the 3D effect of the blocks shifting as I look at it. 
It is just right when I need just a little something over my lap. But it would also be a great baby quilt.

Now here is the closer look at the entire quilt that I promised earlier.


The Island Batik fabricHobbs batting, Aurifil thread, and the Accuquilt Go! cutter were given to me as an Island Batik Ambassador in consideration for promoting these brands while creating the challenge quilts. Thank you all so much. I hope I can work with you again in the future.

This will be my last post as an Island Batik Ambassador as I did not apply for the program for next year.  The simple reason is that I am choosing to spend more time with my Mom and family.  I had a wonderful time creating all of my Island Batik projects and I have purchased more Island Batik fabrics - so you will see more projects featuring these fabrics.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

20 comments:

Quilting Gail said...

Wonderful 3D effect, Gene!
I'm not sure how you managed to create such a neat block in EQ - but you managed fabulously!

And the blue sky ... oh, the blue sky ... so lovely!!!! (I did feast my eyes on it!)

Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Karen said...

Fabulous quilt, Gene, and clever piecing! I can't quite see how you did it with triangles, but I'll take your word for it.
Best of luck next year, I look forward to seeing your future creations.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You nailed it, Gene!! The 3-D effect is AWESOME!! It took me a while to find the "triangles in a square" part - but now that I see them - sideways across the row - I think you came up with a VERY creative way to get the 3-D effect without Y-seams!

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be participating in the Island Batik Ambassador program next year - but am glad that you are going to spend more time with your Mom and family - and that you plan to "Stay Creative" - ;))

Carla said...

You certainly did nail the challenge. I really like this quilt and the quilting. It's been fun being on the ambassador team with you for 2019.

Barb said...

Oh my stinking GOSH...this is fabulous....you out did yourself!!!! Nothing like going out with a BANG!!!!!

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Fabriholicca said...

This quilt is amazing. How creative of you to figure out a way to do it. It took me quite a bit of time to figure what you did. I'm so glad I persisted. Very clever.

Sally said...

Love the depth this quilt created...spectacular challenge piece!

Joyce Carter said...

It looks absolutely amazing Gene. You did a wonderful job.
Sorry to hear you won't be an ambassador for next year, but I can understand about wanting to spend time with your family.
I love that blue sky. We had the most amazing sight a couple of days ago. The sky was pink and blue and looked so beautiful. I wish I could have painted it.

Vicki in MN said...

It is just awesome Gene! I think I could step right up those steps:)

Pamela said...

That's pretty amazing! Isn't it wonderful when you can make a complicated quilt like this is an easier way? Great work!

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow! You did a great job! You definitely "nailed" it.

Debbie said...

Amazing effect! You did a great job on this one. I love that you kept the borders simple to enhance that movement in the center steps area.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh Gene I just LOVE this one! I've been playing around with a cube for most of last month, thinking. I always always overthink my challenges... The quilting is divine, as are those fabrics, which I got to use for the August blog hop. I think you should write up the pattern for this baby! I may have clapped my hands when I saw this one, think it's my favourite of the year!

KatieQ said...

You really nailed it with this quilt. I keep moving my head back and forth as I look at the monitor to observe the illusion of motion the shapes produce. Fabulous design and perfect execution. If I were the Quilting Olympics judge, I'd give it a 10.

Barbara said...

Hard to believe it was simple too sew, it gives a totally opposite impression. It is absolutely stunning, Gene!

Kathleen said...

You were right to tease...this is an outstanding quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nicely done, Gene. You SEW totally nailed it with the 3-D design!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Definitely 3D. Being an ambassador is very time consuming, I'm sure.

Anita said...

Wonderful quilt, Gene, you really nailed the 3D effect! It has been nice to follow you through this year as a fellow ambassador. Good luck with future projects!