Monday, December 16, 2019

More Bargello and Wondering.....

I have discovered that if I do the bargello in small chunks that I don't get bored with it.  So now I have this much of it completed.

But I have been looking at the pattern - honestly I have been playing with it!  
 I realized that even though the pattern looks like this

If I flip the pieces and join what they have as the "ends" together it will look like this
I think that I like the alternate version better - plus I don't have to remove a piece 
from each strip if I do it my way. Thus the quilt will end up two inches longer.   

Of course, I am planning to enlarge the quilt anyway.  I will add borders to increase the length to 80" and the width to 80" also.  That is, if I can figure out how to do it without it looking odd. 
I am in the process of dyeing some fabric a blue and green for the addition.  I will just 
have to see how it looks later. Right now the fabric is in the rinse bath until morning. 
Then a second soak after which I can wash, dry and iron it.  I love dyeing fabric, but right now my fingers are slightly blue -because apparently my gloves leaked. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh my! This is becoming the most gorgeous conversation piece of ant quilt, ever! Words fail...but “absolutely stunning” comes to mind.

Pamela Arbour said...

You have really come a long way with it. Bargello can take on so many looks. I like yours as well. Now I am wondering how you are going to quilt it! That time is getting near.

Debbie said...

That is the magic of bargello....make it your way! It looks great, Gene!

Vicki in MN said...

I love how fun and bright it is-looks really good on this cold gloomy MN morning! Have fun and be creative:)

Rebecca said...

Seeeee.....I need to dye some more fabric this next week for the Temperature quilt I am making. My SIL talked me into using my hand dyed fabrics but I need a bit more range in the green and purples.
For our location in central Oregon I am using a 3 degree temperature separation so using 105 at the high end (its been known to happen) and -5 at the low end (not on the same day) I need 34 fabrics... I have 22. I usually dye fabric in the early summer in the garage. But its 27 degrees out there as I write this so I will need to set this up it in the kitchen I think. and given that I do not do this that often and know I will have some lovely cuts that will not fit in the lineup I am looking at at least 18 jars going (maybe more) to get the 12 to 15 I think I need and want.

Kathleen said...

I like your version...unexpected. Mostly we enlarge quilts to fit on the bed and it is the “hangover” piece. I think there is a lot of room for play in that and have been known to have no borders on the top (no pillow tuck for me) and different sizes for top and bottom and sides. I have even found with a few BOM quilts I put them them on the bed with the vertical piece running horizontal. Anyway, I know you will come up with a creative solution!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I LIKE your version! I'm looking forward to seeing how you enlarge it - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Well, Mr. Blue handed Gene, I do like your version!
I always love it when people take a main pattern and do something to make it different! And in this case, better!
I've never tried dying fabric ... I'm interested to see how it turns out!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Vicki W said...

I love both versions!