Thursday, May 14, 2020

And then there were 3

My plan for the bento box quilt is to take it nice and slow.  I don't see a need to get in a rush. I am not going anywhere for a while - and neither will it. Ha ha.

Wednesday, I took two more sets of two strips and constructed two more blocks - And then there were three.

These three show nicely how diverse the color combinations will be.  There will be more than one of most of the blocks.  There will be four of some and two of others.  Every time I look at the strips I think,  "Maybe I should mix it up more."  And maybe I will.  Those decisions can be made "on the fly" since I have no grand scheme for the layout other than size. 

One thing I noticed is that I am having a difficult time remembering just how the block goes together.  So rather than use a lot of paper and ink printing the whole pdf,  I took a sticky note and drew a simple (messy) diagram to follow.  It is possible that I am the only one who can read my handwriting.....
My strange little "helper" note
This tells me what I need to know about where the light and dark pieces go.  Oddly, I can remember the cutting details just fine.  I put the sticky note right on my machine for easy reference when I am constructing the block.   For what it is worth, the pieces marked "dark" and "light" are the pieces that are added to each quarter of the block AFTER the lower sections are all sewn together.

I have to say that I am rather happy to see that I am getting the points matched nicely -of course now that I mentioned it, the next one will likely not match at all.  Haha.  I can embrace wonky.
Can you embrace wonky or do you "have to" fix it?  You have my permission to be YOU and do it whichever way you can live with.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Nice blocks. I may try to make a few blocks myself. I have plenty of strips cut.

Debbie said...

Like your color combos. Forget perfect...just enjoy what you do!

piecefulwendy said...

I've always liked the bento box block, but I haven't ever made one. I can read your writing, by the way, having worked with lawyers over the years, I can decipher just about any handwriting - ha! Embrace wonky, it's what makes the quilt interesting!

Barbara said...

Embrace wonky!!! Life is short,.

Jeanna said...

It depends on how wonky it turns out. I've embraced a lot...A LOT of wonky but if it's an easy fix or just looks too wonky then I have to fix it. Yours and LHQ's blocks look totally different but I enjoy seeing both.

Kathleen said...

You are embracing it all: points matching, taking your time and the inevitable wonky!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A little wonky is OK, a lot wonky has to be fixed. I have had most of the strips cut for a Kaffe Bento Box for about 8 years. I think I just needed to cut three more pairs of fabrics and never got back to it. Maybe now is the time.

Vicki W said...

It's going to look really good with all those solid fabrics.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

A little wonky is fine with me - I gave up trying to be perfect years ago - LOL. I like how our blocks are the same pattern - but look totally different. And I can't remember how they go together, either - so I'm doing mine "assembly-line" - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

And soon there will be 4 or 5.

I find that once quilts are quilted and washed, it's hard to see where the seams aren't perfect ... SEW, I don't worry about it!

When I started quilting, I learned how to fudge ... I'm still great at fudging!

Happy Quilting! :-)

Julie Fukuda said...

I have made several scrappy bento box quilted table runners. When doing it by hand, it is much easier to make each of the quarter blocks and then arrange them into a light and dark layout.

For the love of geese said...

Gorgeous and good job on the piecing. I just finished a flimsy and had to keep a picture of the block pulled up on my computer screen to make sure I was putting it together right. Funny, I almost made these blocks instead of what I did use. Can't wait to see the finish Gene. Thank you for linking up last week.