Friday, May 08, 2020

Playing With the Scrappy Bundle

The pretty bundle of batik fabric scraps that I won called to me.  I decided to just play.  So I chose a solid fabric in a light aqua blue to play with the browns and greens.  I ripped off a  strip of it roughly 7" by the width of fabric to see what would happen. I am glad there is more in case this becomes a quilt.

On Thursday, some strips were made and inserted between  strips of the blue.  I actually had one strip made from some other Island Batik scraps. And I decided to use the pieces that were with it on my cutting table to use them up. 
The strips were not measured.  The blues were cut randomly.  The others were used as I came to them. Some of them required a bit of trimming, but that happened as the work flowed.

I think it was Picasso who said "Inspiration exists but it has to find you working"  I know I have heard a variation on that from another artist.   Sometimes you just have to start and see how or if the inspiration comes. 

And failures?  They happen, but if you dig in, you can find the treasure of a lesson that you can learn from that failure.  Learning that lesson can make your next success even better.  As I was told in weaving class "Trust the process." 

Today I looked at this piece again and looked at the scrap bundle.  Then I created another pieced strip that is similar but different.  In abstract art class, I was taught the principle of  repetition with variation. It apparently sunk into my subconscious, because that is what I did even though I never thought of the principle while I was doing it.

Once the second strip piece was big enough, I added it on.  I love the look of this.

At this point, I have no idea what this will become. Honestly, at this point I don't care. I am enjoying the process as I create.   Although I do see some possibilities for quilting this with a variety of quilting designs.  That aqua was used on the back of this quilt:
 And I love how the quilting showed so wonderfully on it.  (I am sorry that the photo is blurry.)



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love the eye candy this morning. Your artist skills are emerging lol.

Barbara said...

I’m short on inspiration today, but your post has given me some — just play and it will come! I will watch to see what this becomes. 😁

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Playtime is the best! Enjoy the process - ;))

ASouthernQuiltersJoy said...

I love the quilt design and colors. Perfect in every way. Your "playing" piece is inspiration for all of us. Good works, Gene. Thank you for sharing.

Vicki W said...

You are clearly having fun!

Barb said...

First off I love your finished quilt and the quilting. Next, I too love the process of creating and just seeing where the imagination takes me....I love what you are doing.

Quilting Gail said...

Looks like you're having fun creating! We'll just have to wait to see what it evolves into.
And - thanks for showing us the picture of the quilt ... AND the quilting! Love it!
Happy Creating! :-)

Jeanna said...

I think someone (GENE) has found some sewing mojo! The aqua is working very well with the batiks. You have a lot of eye candy going on in Bama!