Sunday, January 05, 2014

2014 - First Finish

Wow, Saturday was a great day.  I started and finished my scarf.  It is my first finish of the year. I have to say that I love it.
The yarn gave me a big but lovely surprise as I was weaving.  I knew it had some color changes in it. What I didn't fully realize is how completely it changes in good sized sections   It made a lovely ombré scarf.  I like it better than I had imagined.  The brown warp makes it look nice and tweedy.  I am going to really enjoy wearing this  beauty. 

Here is a close up of the color change.
 And a closer look at a larger section of the scarf

I will have to say that it looks better in person than in the pictures. I am not even going to wet finish it first, I am wearing it tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a lovely year full of wonderful surprises and happy finishes.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

20 comments:

Sharon E said...

It's beautiful - looks so earthy. Enjoy.

sewyouquilt2 said...

wow so pretty. that color change is so awesome. glad you are enjoying the new year.

suemac said...

Very pretty.

Pat said...

What a lovely effect with that color-changing!

Marjorie said...

I love the way that color change shows. I keep wanting to get that effect with knitting, but just haven't hit on the right combination of yarn and pattern. The long narrow scarf is a nice way to get the color changes in a large area though. Happy New Year. We've been traveling and I haven't had a chance to comment. We'll be home today just in time to hunker in for some cold weather.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the beautiful blended color changes, not stripey at all. I love the width also.

Teresa Quilts said...

I love your scarf! It is gorgeous! I know you will enjoy it especially the next few days when it will be so cold.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have loved all your weaving projects, but this one really grabs me. Must be the earthy color and texture to it.

sandiqltr said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous piece, Gene!! I don't blame you for wearing it immediately.

jdqltr said...

Beautiful! I agree about the tweedy look of it too. I don't knit or use a loom, but when I see projects like this, wised I did! Thanks for sharing the results of your efforts with us!

Barbara Arcement said...

Love the scarf colors. Weaving is so much fun. You did a great job on this one. Makes me want to get out my loom and get weaving!

Looks like you have a good start for 2014! I enjoy reading your blog.

Elaine said...

I think we need a picture with you in it! That is beautiful-can't believe you got it done in a day!

Kathleen said...

It must have been such fun watching the color changes emerge as you were weaving. I agree with Elaine . . . we want to see a picture of you wearing it :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

A FINISH ALREADY?!?! WOO HOO!! - And it turned out beautifully - I LOVE the way the colors change without looking splotchy - it's WONDERFUL - no wonder you want to wear it as soon as you can - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Love the rich earthly colors.

Lynn said...

Beautiful! It looks warm too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's a gorgeous scarf Gene! Perfect timing too as the next couple of mornings will be quite cold.

Patti Williams said...

Can't wait to see it in person!!

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on your first 2014 finish and a nice one it is! You are right about the color changes, really makes a handsome scarf!

We spent yesterday traveling home...airport woes in the northeast. So I'm behind on my blog reading...but catching up today :)

Beth said...

The scarf is beautiful! The color changes are a wonderful surprise. I hope 2014 brings you many more happy surprises.