Saturday, January 25, 2014

Partial Seams

One thing that I have avoided is partial seams.  But my friend Linda at life, quilts and a cat too  has been playing with Electric Quilt on a design that intrigues me.  It is made of two blocks: the snowball block and a block that I didn't know called "Bright Hopes." It seems that Bright Hopes has partial seam. So I decided to see if I could manage this technique.
Bright Hopes
Fabric that I won from Amanda Murphy
Arrrgh.  I need to read the directions as I go and maybe I will get it. This block is usable but not that great.
The quilt would look like this.
Woven Octagons

The blocks in this are set on point. I love the way it looks as if the octagons are woven together.  Do you have a nice go-to tutorial for this Bright Hopes block? The on on About.com is confusing to me.  I need pictures or video.  Since all the seams in the block are partial seams, I found it difficult. I suspect I am making it harder than it really is.  Help!
EDIT--
Bright Hopes, I extend my apologies.  You are not so difficult.
I found a tutorial at A Girl in Paradise blog.  It is not nearly as difficult as I thought.
I made another block in much less time.
One seam is still a touch wonky, but I am sure I could correct that with practice.
Yaay for a fast solution.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Pat said...

By partial seams, do you mean what some call "Y" seams? I've not had much success at them, but, supposedly, there are a lot of things online about "Y" seams. I'll be watching to see what you find! Knowing you, it will be mastered in no time at all. :)

suemac said...

Just remember that you start with sewing a seam half way and end with sewing that seam the rest of the way.

Barbara said...

Nice design, I like it too. But can't help with your questions about a tutorial. If you are confused, I would surely be concussed, plus I don't even know what "partial seams" are. LOL!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Only the first seam is a partial seam. Then that creates the area to sew all of the rest of the pieces onto, and then you finish partial seam at the end.

Carol Swift said...

I've only attempted a partial seam once, but loved the look. Your colors and block are beautiful!

Four dogs and one quilter said...

This is a good video explaining partial seams. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/Partial_Seams_FREE_Block_Builders_Workshop_Video_Lesson

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A google search for tutorial brings up several as well change your search to video tutorial - lots of you-tube
This is a simple beginner's tutorial:
http://learnhowtoquilt.com/quilt-tutorials/partial-seams/
same but on U-tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcPMH0rzhU

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What "suemac" and "Exuberant Color" said - ;)) Using your second block as an example - I would first sew the yellow center to the white one on the left - but only halfway down - thus the "partial" seam. Then working my way around - clockwise - add the top purple one - then add the right white one - then the bottom purple. That leaves you with the rest of the original "partial" seam to finish off - Easy Peasy!! - ;))

Jennifer Thomas said...

I think you're on the right track. Lookin' good from here. Are you making the whole "octagon" quilt? I hope so - I want to see it! Have a super day!

Beth said...

That design is so cool. Love the woven look. Looks like your partial seams are good. I taught that last year in the Block of the Month I did. It isn't too hard once you get the process.