Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day

Yesterday we were sent home from work.  By the time we left it had gotten nasty out.  Everyone from so many places were being sent home that the roads were backed up.  And since it is Alabama, most folks have no clue how to drive on snowy/icy roads. Apparently 2 miles an hour was the chosen speed limit.  What is roughly seven miles took 45 minutes to travel. When I got to my turn there was a bus either stalled or stuck and they had the road blocked. So I went to the road that I knew would be safest anyway in the snow. As I got to it, I saw it was becoming a parking lot. I turned after one block onto the unused back roads. From there it was smooth sailing for the mile to my house.
When I got home, I saw this icy build-up in my wheel wells
I haven't seen that type of thing since I was in Ohio at college.   The snow continued to fall and later in the day I took this picture.
At the end of that fence is my driveway, not that you can tell from this picture.
All the city roads are closed today and the road at the front of those buildings is closed.  I am officially snowed in.
So last night I finished the "Blues" scarf.  I even took the dreaded "selfie" picture with it on to share with you.
Today, if I quit being lazy and just luxuriating in my freedom, I need to weave more and maybe work on a quilt.  I really want to just get a cup of coffee or tea and sit with a book under a quilt.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

16 comments:

Elaine said...

Gene-you take great "selfies". The scarf is lovely. The snow looks beautiful. On this coast we have not had any fall or winter at all. Wish we could even out the temps across the continent.

Barbara said...

A great selfie! I am not good at those. We have your wheel well build up everyday, and I can't put my car in the garage because of it. When it melts there onto the concrete floor, the salt is corrosive. Pretty snow pic, we have about four more new inches today. Roads are clear though. Also, very pretty scarf! Maybe I'll do some weaving today. Happy snow day!

Lynn said...

Lovely scarf! Enjoy your snow day!

Barbara Arcement said...

great picture of you in the scarf. Blue is your color!
beautiful picture of the snow....where is your snow man? I sure wish it would snow here so the grandies could go out to play in "real" snow!
Have fun on your snow day!

Quiltingranny said...

You always make me smile and the snow pictures warmed my heart today since we have not received any this year at all.
You and the scarf look fabulous!

suemac said...

Your scarf turned out great. Have fun on your snow day. There is nothing wrong with snuggling with a good book.

Jeanna said...

No dread in that selfie! You look great Gene and the scarf is lovely...especially in those blues.

Stay warm!

Lorraine said...

I think that's the best selfie I've ever seen of anyone. Very handsome and the blue goes great with your eyes! Down here in Lower Alabama we are in the deep freeze. Everything is at a standstill. There's been no melting of the stuff yet. Schools have been closed for 2 days and they may be closed again tomorrow if there's no change on the roads.

Jean(ie) said...

Glad you're okay. My son in law works in B'ham but lives in Cullman. Luckily, he wasn't called into work that day and scaped the madness. As for my daughter, she lives "on campus" where she works. So she's always there.

Jean(ie) said...

btw, great selfie! Beautiful eyes to match a beautiful scarf!

Vicki W said...

Blue is your color! Enjoy the snow. We got some of it here too even though we weren't supposed to get any.

Pat Merkle said...

I love snow days. We haven't had one yet! I keep waiting.

Unknown said...

Great picture! These snow days are wonderful when retired. I kicked back Tuesday morning with a pot of vegetable soup and chicken casserole cooking ready for the show. And WOW! Never expected such chaos. Miss everyone but I really enjoy my new career in real estate. Stay warm. Scarf look great too!

Beth said...

Great picture Gene. That scarf looks great on you. You might have to keep that one.
Hope you enjoyed your snow day.

ShirleyC said...

I'm glad you made it home ok. So many weren't very lucky. What a mess!
Your scarf is very nice!

Jodi said...

Aww, Gene, good for you, some rest and relaxation. Love the scarf!