Sunday, January 26, 2014

On the loom & Wonky 9s

After conquering the partial seams, weaving was a requirement for this weekend as I have orders for more woven scarves.  One of those wanted the same weft yarn as in the scarf I made for myself. However, she wanted a periwinkle warp thread. Finally a source for the periwinkle that was "not too blue, not too lavender" was found.  Yes, I was picky about it.
So I put it on the loom and started.  When I first put it on the loom, I had my doubts.  It suddenly seemed a bit too lavender.  Oh well, let me weave a few inches and decide.
Oooh... I like it!  I like it a LOT.

That settled, I made some more wonky nine patch blocks.  Actually I only made two of them. 
They are a bit busy but the contrast in both color and value passed the camera  monochrome test. 
So I laid out all the blocks I have made for this so far. 
There are 24 of them.  Which means that I have six more to make. I already have the fabrics cut out all I have to do is stack, cut, sew, press and repeat until those six are complete and I can start to assemble the quilt. Wow, a little at a time really does get it done before you know it. 

And speaking of done, I sat at the loom for a while and kept on weaving.  I find it wonderfully meditative work.  I can just get lost in it. And I did.  Before I knew it, I was finished weaving.  I cut it off the loom and did the finish work.  Would it be bad to keep it for myself? Well, yes it would.  I know the one who commissioned it is eager to get it. This cold snap we are having will be a perfect time to put it to use. 

The completed scarf
The periwinkle yarn blended with the colored yarn beautifully.  I think I want to do one now with alternating light blue and cream warp threads. 
How about some detail shots of this woven goodness?

Since the yarn changes color as you progress through the skein, you get areas of different colors.  This is what is called a "self-striping yarn."  I love using them for weaving, but they are not easy to come by locally.

I think I had a productive day on Saturday.  I am very happy with my accomplishments for the day. I hope your day was equally good.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

18 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

beautiful scarf. love your colors. that wonky 9 patch quilt will be a fun quilt to have!
I have an order for a black and white scarf that I need to get done this week.
hugs
beebee

Barbara Arcement said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat said...

What a beautiful scarf!!! The wonky blocks are very nice, too.

Jeanna said...

The scarf came out beautifully. The recipient is going to be quite pleased, I'm sure. (I know I would be)

I love the colors of your latest wonky 9 patch blocks, kind like Auburn colors...which I adore :)

Stay warm through this next cold snap, Gene.

Barbara said...

I also love the variegated colored yarns that result in self striping. This is a beautiful scarf, and it doesn't make me dizzy! ;)

Vicki W said...

The scarf is so pretty!

suemac said...

The scarf is really beautiful. I am sure your customer will be very happy.

Jeanne said...

I LOVE it and will enjoy wearing it. I appreciate your perfectionistic picking of perfect periwinkle.

Jeanne said...

I LOVE it, and will enjoy wearing it. You picked the perfect periwinkle -- or was that a peck of pickled peppers . . . Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow night!

Jeanne said...

Obviously, I am blog-posting challenged!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I am so impressed by your weaving. To get some beautiful yarns, look into Fancy Image Yarns. She is on FB and also has a site. She buys all natural colors and dyes them herself and they are spectacular. She even has a Seahawk yarn. Myra is a friend who I see and party with at least once a year. She always gets me wasted on Tall Fruity drinks.

sarah c said...

lovely colors with the scarf.

Kathleen said...

Very pretty scarf. I know nothing about weaving but it's cool that the beginning and ending are the same.

Jackie's Stitches said...

The scarf came out beautifully! Glad you decided to test a few inches. The red and gold section is my personal favorite - love it against the periwinkle!

Pat Merkle said...

The scarf looks great. I bet you even need those scarves down your way this year. Supposed to dip below zero again tonight, up here. BRRR. The wonky nine patch is looking great too. :)

Beth said...

That scarf is beautiful. I just love the colors. What a way to keep warm.
I usually am not a 'wonky' person, but seeing all the blocks together....I really like it. I am trying to push myself away from symmetry. LOL

Beth said...

That scarf is beautiful. I just love the colors. What a way to keep warm.
I usually am not a 'wonky' person, but seeing all the blocks together....I really like it. I am trying to push myself away from symmetry. LOL

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, love the colors in this scarf
Kathy