Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Just a Teeny Bit

I am trying to revive my mojo.  The cold weather is still making me want to hibernate.  Although I talked with my doctor today and she is referring me for a sleep study.  We had discussed my lack of energy along with other issues.  I have been told that I snore (yes, sad but true. my own mother told me so)  and I have been told that I gasp for breath while sleeping at times.   So we looked at some other factors.  I found some of them pretty interesting.
Did you know that a "thick neck" is a factor in sleep apnea - I never wear a necktie because I choke.   I generally buy a size 16 shirt for the neck size - but I decided to measure my neck.  Sheesh..it is almost 18 inches around. That is a factor.
I am male (automatic factor.)  I have and am treated for high blood pressure -another factor.
Well you get the picture.  So in a couple of weeks I go for a consult and then will be scheduled (most likely) for a study.
One of the most interesting facts is that many people with sleep apnea think they sleep well all night. I know I would tell you I sleep like a baby. However, with apnea, you wake up multiple times during the night ; you just may not realize it.

Did it seem like I got lost there?  Not really.  I hope you don't mind the health information sharing.

I am still trying to get my mojo back.  So tonight I forced myself to sew something. Just a teeny bit of sewing.  Since I am working on the wonky nine patches quilt, I decided that a couple of those blocks would be ideal.   I chose contrasting fabrics and went to town. The bendable bright light that I got for Christmas really lit up the sewing area. I did notice that it tends to glare off the presser feet.  But I just adjusted the angle and it was fine.
Here are the two blocks side by side.

I love the results. And I love getting mirror image blocks. These almost have a "star" shape in them.

Are you sewing or is your mojo frozen?  Personally I would love a week in the tropics.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Pat said...

OOOOOO....a week in the tropics? Sign me up for that!!!! I've lost my sewing mojo for awhile now. I really need to work on getting it back. LOVE the red and white blocks.

Beth said...

Lost my sewing mojo to this cold/flu thing I got going on. It is finally improving so I am sure I will get stitching soon.

Glad you are having the sleep study done. My Dad said he slept fine too. His recent sleep study he had 50 occurrances an hour. The poor guy was never in REM sleep that's for sure. (course he had the CPAP machine and didn't use it so....). Hope getting that resolved gives you tons of energy!!!

Elaine said...

Glad you are getting the sleep thing checked. The only thing I don't like about getting older is the health issues-they are just annoying and take longer to clear up. Great blocks!! They do look like stars.

Susan said...

Yes, it's all true! My husband has the same issues. Unless you really like the idea of CPAP machine, start dieting now. My husband lost 30 pounds and rarely snores now and he definitely sleeps better at night (and so do I)! Good luck!

Rhonda said...

Oh Gene, I hope you get to feeling better very soon. There is nothing worse than a lingering cold. As for the sleep thingy...I had read a little about it. I'm sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.
Mojo....well, I don't know if mine is lost or just hiding from me but I'm forging onward anyway with a goal of making quilts for my community helping hands this year.
Take care my friend!!

Royce said...

I've had the sleep test thing several years ago. They told me I snored VERY LOUD. My husband said he could have saved me the night in the sleep study place cause he knew that. I didn't have apnea thou which was good. Just sinus issues. Hope everything turns out good. Yes I had a bad cold and didn't sew for weeks. I did clear off my machine and have told myself I'd get on that poor quilt that has been sitting there for 2 months.

suemac said...

I have sleep apnea also. I use a CPAP machine which really helps me.

ShirleyC said...

I love these blocks!
My mojo has been gone also. I got sick right after Christmas, and I'm just now starting to get back to sewing.

SewCalGal said...

I think the MOJO for many of us is completely frozen. Valid reason to hibernate. But I do think your red/white project looks like it will be a great design for the 2014 Red/White Quilt Challenge. Hopefully that will inspire you to create. Still way early, but it will be officially announced later this month.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Jeanna said...

Good luck with the sleep study Gene. I hope they get it all figured out for you and you can get some real rest.

I've been so busy trying to get settled at home after traveling and work is just crazy right now...I don't even know if I have any mojo.

I'm hoping to find out a little later. Still catching up on my blog reading...I haven't caught up all week :(