Saturday, January 04, 2014

Presents and Sampling Before Starting

First off, I want to share a couple of great presents I got over Christmas.

For my sewing machine, I got a Bendable Bright Light.
 It was really simple to install and is adjustable or even removable if you are doing something where it is in your way.
Here it is aimed at the presser foot.   The machine is off and so is the light.
Then with the machine still off, I turned  on the light. Wow Nice and bright AND I can aim it right where I need to see.  It is not in my way at all. This will be so easy to use and so helpful for my old eyes.

Next, while visiting the Nana, she watched me weaving.  I finished a scarf but didn't get a picture of it. She loved it and had to have it.  But she pulled out some of her knitting yarn and gave me a lovely skein of Alpaca yarn that has been hand dyed..
The only problem I can foresee is choosing a warp yarn to go with it. The color is more luscious in person.

I have decided that I need to weave a scarf for myself.  I saw this acrylic yarn in a Fiesta colorway in the store and had to have it. It is muted jewel tones and is a lovely boucle yarn. It is a Lion Brand homespun yarn. So, I had to decide on a warp yarn for it also. I had two thoughts in mind. So I put a sample warp of the yarns on the loom and wove a couple of inches. Making a small sample is the best way to decide.
 As you can see I only did a few strands of each, but it is enough to decide.
Perhaps you can see it better in this picture. Since it is for me, I am choosing the brown as my warp thread.  The brown is a Red Heart acrylic yarn called "Cafe Latte" I think it looks nice and warm and it feels soft and comfortable.
Did you notice the change to my blog design?  I decided a look that is cleaner would be easier to read. I welcome your opinion.  I did save the older layout.
Have you made any starts for the year? If so, feel free to tell me about them. I love your comments.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

13 comments:

jdqltr said...

The bendable light is also good to help find those tiny stitches when they have to be removed. I just point it to my hands and I can see whatever it is I need to see close up of. Its a great tool for those of us with aging eyes!

Vicki W said...

I have BBLs on all of my machines. I recently bought a small one of the LED strip lights to try out. I like it but not as much as the BBL. I think that the strip light might work on my longarm. The new yarn is beautiful!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I use my bendable light every time I sew. Your scarf is going to be amazing - love the colors. Both the old and the new layout for your blog is nice. Pick the one that pleases you the most.

Jeanna said...

The bendable light is a great gift. I find I need LOTS more light myself these days.

I like the warp yarn choice, that is going to make a nice scarf for yourself.

Your blog design is FRESH! Love it.

I've been on vacation out of town since December 27th...I have started crocheting a granny stripe aphgan (because it's portable). I found the yarn at a cute little yarn store in Chadds Ford, PA. Hoping to have a blog post up soon. I've been so bad about posting during the holidays.

Happy New Year Gene!

Dot Moore said...

I like the new blog layout. Easy to read. Love the blue for the scarf.

Beth said...

I need one of those lights too. Everyone who has one loves it. My eyes are needing extra help these days too.
The weaving looks good, I think the yarn you picked to go with it is beautiful.
Happy New year.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE the brown warp yarn - it does look nice and warm!! - ;)) And only because you asked - the new font on your blog is too small for me and my aging eyes - it's hard to read - sorry - ;))

Barb said...

I had one of those lights but sent it on with the pfaff that I sold, I loved it. I so enjoy your weaving. My sister Jeanette got a huge loom, I am hoping she will show it on her blog (inchworm fabrics)

Barbara said...

Love the new light, and brown is a good guy color, but you can make the white warp for me. Lol!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for changing the font size, Gene - it's MUCH better now!! - ;))

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Gene I'm just loving the bendable light - good for you! Your weaving is going to be just beautiful! Can't wait to see the product. Today I started block 3 of Quilting the Garden by Blackbird Designs. I'm also working on a few pieces for an upcoming fiber festival. Feathers are also adorning my machine right now as I make some table runners in a cotton / wool combo. Happy New Year!,

suemac said...

I like your new layout. That bendable light looks like a great idea.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Everyone must have a bendable bright light if they want to see when they sew...LOL :) My trick is to use the temporary adhesive by 3M to attach my light so I can just take it to other machines without having to use the clips. The strips don't leave any residue either.

My Christmas was a new lap bot. It was way overboard with a touch screen etc....it had to go back. Replaced it last night with a much simpler model and I'm now learning windows 8. I'm sure you can guide me as to what to do. So far...I can just get into my mail :)

Hugs Gene...and your scarves are beautiful no matter what yarn you use...you have great taste :)